Introduction

Contact us



Omaha: Advanced Approach

Introduction

In most other public omaha card rooms where advanced omaha eight or better is offered, there generally will be small number of games (maybe only one) at $10-$20 and lower and there can be a higher game with much higher limit. The players sitting at the table will often be the experts and highly skilled poker players. Most of the player may often play well.

The game Omaha eight or better at the higher limits is a different game from what has been discussed so far. Many pots will be contested short-handed. Players will not automatically go to the end if they have draw to second or third nuts. There are also some chances to bluff. Also, hands that you can "by chance" back into will become relevant.

Simply playing for cinches, even if you make one is better, will not get the job done. The real poker game is successful when Omaha eight or better is played at the higher limits. You will have to now play very well.

General Concepts

In this section, advanced players and medium-to-high-stakes games are referred. The common limits are $50-$100 and $75-$150 game. Most player are experts and highly skilled and to produce a better results, you need to play brilliantly. If you just draw to cinches, do not expect to do much better than break even.

Particularly, this is a game of trying to get in cheaply before the flop. If you are putting more money early, it is usually not much to get in money with the quality hand, but to knock out players so as to have positional advantage. This enables you to use your poker skills further and to play against the blinds or indeed a blind and a weaker hand.

The main decision is to determine the flop and comprehend how it relates to your hand and whether you should continue play. Continue playing and folding (once the flop comes) is not always as easy as some people think.

Several players play too loose after the flop so you get a chance to flop hands and play with people who are taking the worst of it. Furthermore, when many players take the flop, you must have the nut low draw, the nut low made with re-draws or a very strong high hand to play on.

In Omaha eight or better, you make most of the money not from your skillful play; it is actually from your rival's poor play. They frequently call and try to win the pot with a second-or third-best hand, without playing forcefully and knocking out some other player.

As said before, Omaha eight or better requires more of thinking. However, the decisions are little clearer in this game than in some other poker games. When you begin your hand, it is generally clear how to play and which is the best way to take when you play a hand out.

The major factor is to understand how the other players play their hands and to play your hand accordingly. This makes Omaha eight or better different from other forms of poker, where you play your hand based on how your rivals play; you do not change your betting much. For instance, it might be sometimes correct to check and fold the nuts in Omaha eight or better, something that would be completely unheard of in a game like Texas holdem.

In this game, how your rival plays can ascertain whether you can enter into the pot or not. Suppose the profitable hand against timid rivals can be a trash hand against the same number of players if they are aggressive. Therefore, the important skill to develop for advanced players is to judge your rivals accurately.

The secret of this game is to have the nuts with draws to better hands. It is significant to add up the chances of the back-door flushes, back-door straights and a miracle card including the draws that you do not expect can come to defeat you. Your chances of winning are minimized by as much as 10 percent or much higher in some cases - when you have the best hand but with no chance to re-draw. For example, if you think your hand has 50 percent value, assuming that there are no re-draws against you. In fact, your hand may have only 40 percent value because of the re-draws. (To be clear when I say 10 percent, it means 10 percent of 100 and not 10 percent of your hand value.)

The 10 percent is only rough figure depending on the experience. But the most important thing is in multi-way poker pot that your hand is not as strong as it looks like to be (even when it is the nuts) because these re-draws are almost always there. Therefore, it is important to have all-four cards running very well so you have back-door possibilities. This enables you to take back or, sometimes to three-quarter your rival instead of splitting the pot.

Continue : Position And Low Hands

 

 

 



© COPYRIGHT 2005-06 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WWW.POKER.TJ